Sunday, July 29, 2007

Hispanic community

Franklin County is the first county in the North West to have a majority of Hispanics. I went down there to what was supposed to be a two-hour assignment, to photograph workers on an orchard to illustrate the story. I felt that there was much more to a Hispanic community than just workers, so I stayed three more days to try to understand the place. The Hispanic people I met in and around Pasco were very kind and granted me great access into their culture, though my Spanish is rudimentary.

Here are a few of my favourite images.













7 comments:

Aaron said...

Andrei,

Those are some nice pictures. I like how you stuck with it.

Aaron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon Kruse said...

Jesus christ. Great stuff man. I feel like you've done a good job of showing interesting scenes and shooting a little looser. Really great stuff man.

andrei said...

At first I read "shooting like a little loser" and my face dropped for a second :)))

Thanks!

Jeronimo Nisa said...

You asked my opinion... Well, I think you nailed it.
At first, the images may seem stereotypical of a Latino community, but on a second thought, hey, man, that's what it is! You got what is there.
And the images themselves are sooooo good!

Sheila Johnson said...

You have some really beautiful compositions here, and some nice surprises. I'm happy to see more spontaneity in these pictures than your photos sometimes express, and I feel that you've done a good job of finding balance between being an observer (looking from the outside), and capturing life as it occurs in day to day moments, with naturality. My favorites are a few that accomplish a greater intimacy... the women in the bedroom, the dancers in the bar.

Andreea Tanase said...

Imi plac mult imaginile! Imi place cum ai surprins spiritul comunitatii. Iar poza cu "dracusorii" la jocurile mecanice, e bestiala! :)