Saturday, June 30, 2007

Amber and Chris

I wanted to do a story about homeless people, because this was the first thing that hit me about Seattle. Tent City is a community of homeless people that live in tents and have their own very strict rules. It is also one of the few - if not the only - shelters that allow couples to sleep together. I wanted to find a couple. After two weeks in which I went there without my camera, I got accepted by the community (by vote) and I've finally narrowed down my subjects. Amber and Chris agreed to let me do a story on them. They have both been homeless for a very long time. They've been together for more than five years. She is six-months pregnant.


Amber and Chris wait around for a truck during an exhausting camp move. Because of City rules, Tent City frequently changes locations throughout the year. Campers have to get all their stuff, pack it, load it in trucks, clean the whole place and build a new camp in a different location.

3 comments:

Sheila Johnson said...

Andrei,
Good for you for finding a story with heart!

I have been in Spain for over a month and am finding it difficult to get beyond taking photos that any tourist could take (with a few exceptions). I look at your blog for inspiration, and am happy that you are in the world doing your thing. I really apprciate your talent and your hard work.

Thank you!

Jeronimo Nisa said...

Good finding, gangsta!
I'm looking forward to see more pics of Chris and Amber.

steveremich said...

Great Start Andrei. American refugees. Look forward to seeing more.